Permits/License Information

Sturgeon Bay Compost Site

Before you take yard waste to the compost site please note these changes:

Residents of the Town of Sturgeon Bay have permission to use the compost site to dispose of yard waste with a permit. Permits are available for $100.00 only at the
Municipal Services Building, 835 North 14th Avenue
Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.

Removal of compost or wood chips is allowed at $15.00 per pickup truck load or  $5.00 per pail. Material must be paid for in advance.

Use of the Compost Site without a permit will result in a trespassing violation and a $500 fine.

If you are not here during the week and want to purchase a permit you can so by mail.

Send a $100 check made out to the City of Sturgeon Bay to the Municipal Services Building, 835 North 14th Avenue.
Include a note stating that:

  • You are a resident of the Town of Sturgeon Bay
  • Your address here
  • Your mailing address
  • Vehicle license number

Your compost permit will be mailed to you.

Burning Permits

Аvailable from Town Officials:

Town Chair - Jeff Feuerstein - 920-450-6069

Supervisor 1 - Kent Moraga - 920-333-4868

Supervisor 2 - Dawn Uecker - 920-495-4980


The Sturgeon Bay Fire Dept. - 920-746-2916

Property Tax Collection

ALL payments (full payment, 1st installment and 2nd installment) should be made payable and mailed to:

Phone: (920) 746-2286

Change of Address

If you need to change the address on your tax bill, please contact Lynne Gustafson, Treasurer at (920) 743-9426. However, the Town cannot make changes to the name printed on your tax bill.

Room Tax

Legal Notice:
Any innkeeper or other property owner offering transient rental (less than 30 days) must obtain a permit and collect 8% room tax (per WI State Statute, local ordinance, and the Door County Tourism Zone Intergovernmental Agreement). For a permit application, call (920) 854-6200 or email [email protected].

Zoning Permits

Contact the Door County Planning Deptartment - (920) 746-2323.

Building Inspections

Inspection Specialists, LLC

Brett  Guilette - 920-495-3232
For inspections call: (920) 495-3232
Email:  [email protected]

Permit Information:  Website -

Useful Information:

Dog Licenses

All dogs in the Town of Sturgeon Bay are required to be licensed.  To obtain a dog license for the calendar year, send proof of vaccination and payment to:

2067 Taube Road
Sturgeon Bay WI  54235

$3 Neutered/Spayed
$8 Unneutered/Unspayed
$35 Kennel  (first 12 dogs)

Please include PROOF OF VACCINATION – (If original copy, it will be returned to you with your dog license.)

Sprinkler/Blasting/Fireworks Permit Application

Click Here

Fire Numbers

If you are applying for a new fire number or asking for a replacement fire number sign, please call Zakry Schwartz in the Land Use Services Department at the County Government Center, (920) 746-2391 or email: [email protected].

Or you can go to: and then Door County Address (Fire Number) Application can be found on that page.